Electrical Short in Waterford Home
A DIY project went awry, and an electrical arc ignited some personal belongs stored in the attic. The firemen were forced to open up the ceiling to extinguish the flames and to check for any hot embers. Our SERVPRO of Greater Pontiac Fire & Smoke Restoration Technicians immediately got to work by removing all the charred and damaged debris. We extracted a small amount of water and then tackled the real problem--smoke & soot removal and deodorization. Luckily, it was a dry smoke fire, very little oily soot and the wipe down of the walls and salvaged ceiling surfaces went well. Since the house was vacated, we set up a whole-house thermal fogging to eliminate lingering smoke odors and particulates. The DIY'er wanted to close up the ceiling himself. We recommended a special primer paint to help eliminate odor and provide good coverage before a finished coat.