Smoke and Soot Damage: What to Know
Smoke and soot is invasive and can get into every nook and cranny of your home all while causing hidden damage, odor, and stress for the homeowner.
At SERVPRO of Greater Pontiac, we have the expertise and experience to accurately asses the damage and develop a plan to make it "Like it never even happened."
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two types of smoke, wet and dry. The type of smoke will determine what needs to be done to clean it properly. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Greater Pontiac will test the soot to determine the type of smoke damage. We then will create a comprehensive plan using the information gathered from our pretest.
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Every fire is different. That means that every fire cleanup is different. With our expertise we can create a comprehensive plan to restore your property and help you make it “Like it never even happened.”
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (248)377-2220